Monday, July 21, 2008

A FULL WEEKEND


























Brian had a "flex Friday" on the 18th so we decided to take a family vacation. Our dear friends the Ramos' came with us. We started out early Friday morning...our first stop was picking up Dia from girls camp. Then we headed north to Palmyra, New York. We got to the Hill Cumorah around 4:00 pm. The daddies dropped us off so we could save our seats for the pageant and they went to put up our tents.










The kids, Stacie and I reserved our seats...and hiked to the top of the Hill Cumorah so we could look out over the valley. It was beautiful. On top the hill is a statue of Moroni holding the Gold Plates. Once we got down we realized how hot it truly was so we spent some time in the Visitor's Center. We started in a room with a statue of the Christus, then we were taken into a room where we watched the Restoration movie. You could feel the Spirit so strong there on the Hill.












Once the daddies got done we took a little drive to the Smith Farm where we went into the replica of the home the Smith family lived in when Joseph was visited by the Angel Moroni. Then we walked down the dirt road to the "Frame House" that Alvin built for his family. He wanted to take care of his family, so he started building a bigger home. He died before the house was finished. Hyrum, at the request of Alvin, finished the house for the family. This is the house Joseph hid the Gold Plates a few times from the mob. He once hid them in the fireplace.













After walking through the homes we were able to spend time in the Sacred Grove. It is so peaceful there. I appreciate the Spirit in the grove. No picture will ever depict the tranquility felt there. We were able to spend a bit more time in the grove this visit which meant a lot to me. The last time I took the kids through we were a bit rushed. Once through the grove the kids had to stop at the restroom. As we were waiting I realized I recognized a couple standing pretty close to me...it was Brother Jex from BYU-I. He was my boss at Badger Creek, my advisor at college and he taught most of my classes. It was such a wonderful surprise to see him. I have a deep respect for him and have thought of him often. We were able to speak for a moment, but as kids are impatient when fun things are still to come, we had to take off so we could get a bit of dinner before the pageant started.












We grabbed a bit of Subway for dinner then got back to our seats. The pageant of course was AMAZING!!!!! I find it incredible how they get the water and flames on the stage out in the middle of nowhere. We all enjoyed the performance immensely. The Spirit was very strong on the Hill. The performers did a fantastic job! The kids got so excited to see Jesus descending from Heaven.








After the pageant we were bombarded by Hecklers screaming into megaphones horrible things about Mormons. One continued to take the name of Mormon in vain. The kids were able to feel the spirit leave them. They all mentioned something about "feeling bad" or "yucky now" because of the things being screamed at us. We were able to turn the uncomfortable situation into a good one by showing the kids the difference in feeling the Spirit of God vs the spirit of Satan. I think we all had a potent experience and testimony builder because of the hecklers. At first we were greatly upset by them, but it was a perfect example to us all of why we live our lives in a way that the right spirit is with us. I was so glad my kids could have that experience to see the dramatic difference.









We got back to our tents and got kids to bed. A travel van pulled up along side us and parked for the night. The sister got out and started making small talk with us. The conversation got going and we were really enjoying ourselves. Brian asked her where she was from, it turns out she grew up in Boise on the bench. Brian asked her if she knew Gene Watkins, she looked at him in disbelief and said, "Yes, he's my brother." We were parked next to Brian's Aunt (Step Aunt, he thinks he met her once years ago, that is why he didn't know who he was talking to). We had actually taken their tent space. It had been raining and they moved the tent into the shelter across the road. Anyway, their family was in the pageant, they had been camping their since the 4th of July. It was such a great surprise to be able to meet them.








Saturday morning we got pictures with our family, then went back to the Hill Cumorah so the daddies could see the statue on top of the hill. We then took off for Niagara Falls. Brian mentioned because of the "family pit-stops" we had to take there was no way we were going to run into Brother Jex again. (He had mentioned to us that he would be there on Saturday too.) I am supposed to note that all the girls except Ysabel and Stacie were wearing green shirts on Saturday. Ysabel felt left out so we borrowed another green shirt from Isabelle so Ysabel could match the rest of us. OK! With that said...we got our tickets to ride the Maid of the Mist into the falls. We got everyone situated then headed off for the elevator that would take us down to get on the boat. Brian was ahead of me, he shouted out to a person two people in front of him, it was Brother Jex. We got to chat with him again for a few minutes. I really love that man. We were also able to ride the same boat into the falls, however, once we got on the boat we didn't see him again...so I hope they enjoyed the rest of their trip.










Just before you get on the Maid of the Mist, staff hands you a blue poncho to wear. The kids were dead set against wearing their ponchos. It was a good thing however that we got them because it started raining and didn't stop. Brother Jex mentioned that we really needed to ride on the top deck. The last time I took the kids we were on the bottom level and I do believe we missed out. We got on the top deck and had a great view of the falls. The kids did get soaked. I love that ride! We were also able to take a walk up along side the falls. That was really incredible.










We drove back to Palmyra, it had rained during the day. We got kids to bed again then the four parents went and sat on the porch of one of the buildings and talked like kids until the wee hours of the night. It was great. Brian even mentioned he felt like a kid again...that is a big deal when you are as old as he is! LOL!!!! (We were camping at the Palmyra Fair Grounds, I recommend it! You get to socialize with many pageant staff and goers! ) It sprinkled and poured all night long. We woke to an even rainier day and wet tents. We got the kids up and started showering and preparing for the day. We had to put everything away wet...YUCK! We were running late for church so Brian took the kids with him while the mommies showered. Brian said it was very neat going to church in Palmyra. He really enjoyed the experince.









On our way home we stopped over in Fayette to see the Peter Whitmer Farm. We were able to go through the chapel and Visitor's Center there. We were also able to tour the replica of the Whitmer Home where the church was offically founded and the first meeting held. The farm is so peaceful! You cannot hear traffic anywhere. It was sunny in Fayette so we could enjoy the farm. With the fields and the apple orchard, I was reminded of Gran's house. Yeah, I might have been a bit homesick. The spirit was very strong here. The missionaries allowed the kids to pick the apples. They were very tasty! We had such a great time! I am so glad the Ramos family came with us. They are such great friends.








Having been to a few church history sites , I have noticed how hard it can be to leave these places. I know my spirit loves being there, feeling so close to Heavenly Father. I love the church! I know it is true. I know Joseph Smith restored the only true gospel of Jesus Christ to the earth. I know we have prophets on the earth today who converse with Jesus Chrsit in order to lead His church as He directs. I am grateful to have these experiences that touch my spirit and remind me what it feels like to be home. I do look forward to seeing my Savior again. And I know I am a child of a Father who loves me and cares for me as I do my own children. I love the temple and the blessings I receive from going. I know the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the true gospel of Jesus Christ. I am proud to be called a "Mormon" because I know Mormon did a great work for us and he was a true disciple of Jesus Christ, he was a respectable man. I know Christ lives and our Father loves us all! This is my testimony, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

1 comment:

Becca Bel said...

wow dejavu. We were there just what3 years ago together, but I am sure you guys had a much better experience. Your liitle family is so cute. Love ya!