Friday, May 22, 2009

Saturday in the City with Simmons (thats a lot of S's!)

OK! First I just wanna say..the reason this posting isn't riddled with pictures is because we used Mandy's camera for most of the trip and she hasn't sent them to me yet....hint hint!

WET PAINT! first subway ride
Brian and I had the wonderful opportunity to take Mandy and Darrin into the City on Saturday. We had such a wonderful time. We started off by showing them Grand Central Station...I'm not sure if it impressed them or frightened them! (HA HA! I love that building!) We took them to a little hole-in-the-wall place for lunch and a taste of NYC pizza. (I'm pretty sure they are still partial to the Jersey Pie!) After lunch we went straight to the MET and saw some amazing exhibits. I really appreciate that our country has a place like the MET where you can see so many different cultures in one place...granted you can't possibly see them all in one day, but it is there in one central place for whenever you can go back, and back , and back. We spent a few hours here.
we found this little crown in our boat
Then we were off to Central Park. Of all the parks I have ever been to, I have to admit I love Central Park the very best. We took Mandy and Darrin to our favorite spot...the boathouse....for a rowboat ride. It was wonderful! It was a partially cloudy day so we weren't sweating from heat, but it was warm enough all day that we didn't have to have jackets. While we were in CP we met up with another Ririe Alumni, Seth Moncur and his adorable daughter Jayda. We got to watch a few street shows that were being preformed at the fountain and blow bubbles with the bubble-blowing-guy. They were interesting!

We spent time in Times Square and took them on the Staten Island Ferry, showed them the Empire State Building and fed them "street meat" at Union Square for dinner. While we were there we also got to get a free hug from a guy with a big sign saying "Free Hugs" all part of the NYC experience. Mandy especially loved the Barbie Mansion in Toys R Us.
FREE HUGS
We had such a wonderful day. I'm so glad we could spend it with them. It was sad to see them go! We really enjoyed their company!
Darrin posing beautifully for the camera
Bri gets bushwacked

No comments: