Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Corned Beef? What the HECK is that? And guess what St. Patricks Day is a REAL holiday!

WOW! I'm still a bit surprised how big St. Patrick's Day is. Growing up in Idaho I didn't know it was a real holiday. I knew you had to wear green or some nasty kid would pinch you...that was pretty much the whole day for us. I didn't have a clue you were supposed to go all out on the green, wear a green top hat and red hair if you really wanted to get into it, and go to NYC to see the parade. I didn't even know there was a traditional menu for the day either! Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes all boiled in the same pot and LOTS and LOTS of whiskey! Since I don't drink I'm wondering if apple juice or water will suffice. HMMMMM Seriously!? Knowing my Irish friends....probably not!

This morning as I was walking across the street to stand with Bella while she caught the bus, I received a warm "Happy St. Patrick's Day" from my neighbor Donn Langevin. (I totally forgot it even was St. Patrick's Day!) Another neighbor, Kevin Mokray, asked Donn if he had his Corned Beef ready to cook. Well, I forgot that today was the day for the traditional dish and I asked them how they cook it. This became quite the exciting conversation for them...they had so many great ideas on how to cook it and add to the dish to make it just perfect.

I walked away thinking...one day...I'll have to give it a try! As today has worn on I decided there is no time like the present! YES! I have decided to take the plunge and make the traditional "POT" for dinner tonight. I just got back from Shop Rite with my very first corned beef. I have spoken with 3 different women who have given me about the same recipe for the dish as Kevin and Donn...It takes about 2 hours to cook. I am SO excited! I will post pictures as soon as I get it done tonight! I'm so excited! GO IRISH!

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

How do you cook it?

Darwin + Kiara said...

How fun! One of these day's I'll get THAT into it too. For now, we just dye our food green. I'll post pics later this week of our dinner tonight! Love you guys!

Valeigha Mauger said...

LOL. I love it. I know us Idaho people are just sheltered from certain things/holidays. Next year I think I might be a little more Irish and try the "corned beef" since after all from the sounds of it St. Patrick's Day is a REAL holiday.