Friday, November 21, 2008

Girly-Girl Midnight Madness

Since Twilight is a story for the teenage girl, me and some friends of mine decided it would be fun to go to the midnight showing on opening morning. (Wow, that doesn't work...the 12:01 am showing) I think I got an eye roll and smile from my Brian when I asked about it, but he happily told me to go.
My family fell asleep at 8:30-9 (Brian included) so for almost an hour and a half I was alone and bored. I had called most of the people I thought would be a bit envious that I was going to the first showing, g-mailed everyone I hadn't in a while, messed around with my blog, blah blah blah! I finally decided at quarter after 10 to start off for the AMC in Clifton.
I was shocked at the site...not really...I saw the same thing in Soho... but the theater was already full, and the parking lot was packed. Women by the car-load were pouring into the Commons. I sat in my van and giggled. I was one of them! For the first time in my life the thought of "being one of THEM" (meaning a Girl-Girl) didn't offend the very core of me.
I have to tell you at this point in my story that I am so thankful for Brian...him being a great husband and encouraging my "girly stuff" has given me the freedom to "explore my feminine side" and has given me the opportunity to see that girls really can be fun and being a "Girly-Girl" really is ok. I NEVER felt that way before! So here's to Girly-Girls everywhere! Whoot Whoo!
I called the other Girly-Girls who were to meet me and told them they better get their booties to the theater quick cause it was a madhouse! I went in to wait because of the cold. Not sure exactly how a GG would react I bought a popcorn and stood back to wait and watch. There were girls giggling everywhere (my old self would have wanted to be sick right there, but I felt a tinge of humor in that, which caused me to smile.) Then it happened...the theater opened. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I've only seen excitement like that one other time! (My high school graduation, and it was mostly on the part of the teachers because they were so excited to get rid of us!) People were very polite for about 10 Min's, but then they shut the doors. There was a brief moment of panic and fear, but the ticket master quickly told the girl in the front to the line to follow him, a polite rush to the other side of the theater ensued where he opened the next screen room.
The relief apparent on the faces of those in line was all so humorous. Shrieks of joy at finding themselves in line for an empty screen room was more than some could handle. GGs were bouncing here and there, others were talking VERY excitedly...there was a tangible energy in the room. I watched the 5 or 6 guys brave enough to enter an apparently estrogen charged situation...they were amazing very calm (I personally think they might have been a bit scared to distract the GGs for fear of giving off a hint of testosterone that didn't belong to EDWARD.)
At this point I turned to watch for my group of GG's. A short time later they emerged from the frosty night with WIDE smiles and giggles of their own. This got me in the full spirit of the night. we were going to be count as one of the first in the history of the world to watch TWILIGHT, no not twilight....EDWARD!!!! (how was that for a GG? =-0) We stood in line for about 10 Min's then we too were allowed into our own fresh screen room. We seriously had the best seats in the house! We had less than an hour ahead of us before the movie started. RiLee, being a smart and forward thinking individual, brought Cranium for us to play while we sat eagerly for the movie. At 12:15 we finally made it through the previews and the screams of delight echoed through the room.
I refuse to spoil the movie for other Twilight lovers of the world! I had an enjoyable evening full of GG giggling! (Mostly at the father sitting down from me and the squeals and OHHHH's from the younger GG's who have not found their own REAL Edward). It was a midnight well spent for me!


2 comments:

Darwin + Kiara said...

I'm glad you had a good time. A bunch of my girlfriends also went to the midnight showing, but being the dedicated student I am, I haven't had a chance to read the books yet, and I want to read them before I see the movie. Sigh. Yay for GGs! :) Miss you!

charm said...

Hey, we hit it too!! Not the midnight showing... but the 10:30 pm showing on Saturday! I can't wait to see it again!! :)