Friday, August 13, 2010

The Glen (a sweet swimming hole! or 3)

We wanted to take the kids to the Susquehanna last weekend, but by the time they got their chores done it was WAY to late. Bri hopped on the Internet and googled swimming holes in NJ and found the Glen. It isn't A swimming hole...its 3! Its around Del Water, and boy is it beautiful!

Bella and E eating modified oreo's


Hannah's modified oreo

Determined to catch some fish! The pond was bubbling! I think it was frogs...I NEVER saw a fish in there!


DIDJA HEAR THAT?

fishing pond
pond scum

I always had the misconception that New Jersey was nothing but a concrete jungle. A good share of the east coast might be, but the majority of it stands as proof that they nicknamed it correctly...The Garden State. I know I've said it many times before, and I know I will say it many more times to come...I LOVE LIVING HERE! As a Libra, this is a dream come true! I have city, the night life and culture whenever I want it, but on the other hand I have mountains, lakes, and the shore, it just doesn't get any better than this.
Brock in the smokey forest

The kids kept telling me we were in Idaho! I have to admit I felt some serious nostalgia for Island Park being at the Glen. People were burning campfires, there were actually pine trees (which you don't see many of in town), the creek smelled so clean and pure...it was a good get-away for us.
a trail around the swimming hole
What is the great white turtle hunting?
OH! Crawdad's!


The water is too darn cold!
Some of the more invincible teenage boys would stand on the dry outcropping (at the bottom middle of this picture) and do flips into the waterfall. They started getting WAY to close to the jutting rocks (at the bottom left of the picture) and none of us really wanted to witness the death of one of them, so a few of the mom's got together and chewed them out. It stopped their boys, but there were still 2 that didn't have mom's there to keep them from their stupidity! We finally left cause I didn't want my kids to see what happens when you are not careful. I hope they all made it out OK.
the top of the falls

a natural water slide on the right of the picture
Brock standing guard to make sure I lived through the jump into the waterfall, I haven't surfaced yet!
me at the base of the waterfall, I died, but luckily I lived through it! :)

The smart people would jump off the left cliff and enjoy the seemingly bottomless depth at the base of the waterfall. The invincible crazy boys would jump off the right side and try to jump out far enough that they wouldn't hit the jutting rock (about 2/3 of the way up on that right side) with their heads as they flipped trying to land feet first into the pool at the left side of the falls. The pool was only about 7 feet wide and about 15 feet long. Some peoples' kids!
cold water and a slow water slide....hmmmmmmmmmm
Brock and Hannah without a care in the world
3 pampered Jersey Shore people who forgot how cold the water in Idaho is that they used to swim in! Pobre Citos!
OK! in all fairness...it was in the low 90's this day, without humidity, so it felt pretty cool! We have been in the high 90's-100's all summer with 60-80% humidity. We weren't used to the chill in the air.
the kids wondering if it is worth the blue lips and teeth chatter


a walk through the woods
a beautiful mountain trail....again, it is in JERSEY!
I wouldn't get back into the water after jumping into the waterfall! Yeaahhh, I'm the 4th of the 3 pampered Jersey Shore people! The water I've been playing in these last 3 years is well over 70 degrees! Seriously right now its 76 degrees down the shore for crying out loud! Getting back into the mountains and playing in run-off is severely shocking to the system! Its like playing in the Puget Sound in MAY! BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I find it hard to believe I used to do that! What was I thinking? Especially when there is something so very much warmer!
Well, maybe I did secretly find it very lovely! ;)

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! I miss Jersey!