Saturday, August 28, 2010

Our 12th Anniversary in Newport Rhode Island

FYI: This is the first of 3 blog entries about our anniversary...there were so many beautiful pictures I had to break it up.

Its been 12 years! I honestly can't believe it. It is hard to believe time has flown by that fast. I try to think back on our wedding day, remember who was there with us...supporting us from inside and outside the Salt Lake Temple. I remember my 4 oldest sisters, mom and dad, grandma and grandpa Fielding, a few of my Fielding Aunts and Uncles, Katie and Gene Watkins. But the three guests who surprised me the most were my cousins Shawn Baird and Matthew & Michael Fielding, I just didn't expect you guys to show up to the temple! Once I got past the shock, I realized how much it meant to me to have them there, still does after all these years, so thanks guys! I love you! I also want to thank all of the rest of you who I KNEW would be there for your support and love also. I LOVE YOU TOO!
Two very WONDERFUL friends from our ward gave us a 4 day anniversary weekend babysitting package, complete with 4 very happy and excited kids. Kathi and Kiapo Bridges took the kids for us. They have become our grandparents away from home. They take such great care of us. The kids love them and so do Brian and I. Saturday morning we dropped the kids off with the Bridges and Brian and I went to a movie. It was great. Brian couldn't get past the feeling that he should be scheduled to do something, but he wasn't. I think he struggled the first day to relax and enjoy, he just isn't used to that feeling anymore.
Brian took me to Hoboken to see the lights of Manhattan. SO BEAUTIFUL! We also went to an Argentine bakery for some delicious Alfajores and other mouth-watering treats. We walked around a bit and really enjoyed the evening.

The next morning we got up and started driving to New Port, Rhode Island. Brian and I have both been dreaming about taking sailing lessons. Since that is out of the picture currently, he decided to get me as close to it as possible. He planned a night in the Rose Island Lighthouse, a schooner ride along the coast, a lobster/muscle bake on Rose Island and other spontaneous cool side trips.
Sadly we got a call from the lighthouse lady who told us she was embarrassed because for the first time in 10 years she had double booked our lighthouse room. She was bumping us. To compensate she paid for us to have a night in an old mansion house-bed-and-breakfast on the harbor, a private boat tour of the harbor and a private tour of the lighthouse/island.

And sadly...our schooner ride was canceled 5 different times because of the horrible weather the hurricanes are creating off the coast right now. So I'm glad we got that private tour of the harbor at least!
Brian found Anthony's Seafood, so we ate delicious Lobster, shrimp, clam chowder and coleslaw for dinner our first night in Newport.
Because everything we planned was cancelled, and instead of spending loads of money on staying at the lighthouse and taking a schooner ride, Brian and I got a free weekend! Which turned out to be a blessing because when we stopped off at Mystic Pizza in Mystic, Connecticut, Brian dropped my camera. He happily bought me a new one for my anniversary gift! You know me and taking hundreds of pictures at every event! I had to have it! For posterity and all the family history and genealogy and stuff!
Good thing there was a strong wind! We might have lost Brian!
We found some really great places to walk and enjoy Newport.
It was breathtaking!

incredibly stormy sea
Fort Adams was where we met Chris, our captain and tour guide.
I really wanted fish and chips while we were there, so Brian took me to the Fostnet Pub. HOLY COW!!!! Yeah! I definitely recommend it. The fish was incredible and the chips were freshly made. OH SO YUMMY!
Brian ordering our watery Cokes
"There are no strangers here, only friends that have not met."

We took the "cliff walk". O MY GOSH! The homes were beautiful!
The cliff walk takes you around the cliff of New Port at the base of a whole bunch of crazy huge mansions. You can walk for miles. I LOVED IT!






beautiful aren't they? the architecture was divine.





More of the cliff walk
I have to admit I felt a little like Harry Potter walking through this hedge. But it was blocking my view of a gorgeous mansion!
Our last night we walked the wharf to see some of the boats.
I figured my boys would like this one!
The bridge at night
It was such a lovely weekend! I'm so grateful to good friends who helped make it happen. And I'm glad all our original plans didn't work out so we could have the experience we did have. It never ceases to amaze me at how much you need a vacation and have no idea how badly you need it until you actually take it. Brian and I haven't had this much time alone together since Ethan was born. It was so nice.

2 comments:

Nathan and Annalee Peterson Family said...

I'm so happy you got a vacation and a beautiful one at that!! It looks like a wonderful place. I'm kinda jealous!

Koon Family said...

Hey Marci & Brian Congrats on 12 years and Cheers to many more! :0)
Frank & I and the kids were at your wedding as well. I know it was a crazy day for you but we enjoyed it too! We love you and hope to see you when I get back to NY...one month this time was way too short this year! love hugs and kisses to all of you!