Monday, August 2, 2010

4th of July at West Point, NY


We have been to some cool places for the 4th of July, (ie. Liberty State Park...the Jersey side of the Statue of Liberty, Philadelphia PA...the Liberty Bell, Richmond VA...the confederate capital.) My favorite place so far though has got to be West Point, New York. It is an academy for the US Army. My friend Rilee invited us to go with her to visit the Tonelli's (friends of hers). Mark Tonelli plays the guitar for the Army band while he goes to school at West Point. Mark and Shaunna have 3 cute kids! And we had a great time hanging out with them.
Mark is second from the left, bottom row


The Cadet in the picture was talking to Shaunna. Hannah came over to me VERY excited and mentioned that he had a CTR ring on. I mentioned to him that Hannah had seen it and was very impressed that a cadet would wear it. He is in the Tonelli's ward and is working his way through West Point, setting a good example for the little people around him.

This is the amphitheater where the band plays, with an AMAZING view of the Hudson River.



Some of the cadets marching toward the amphitheater


Marissa



Sorry Dad! But I've been through the "Beat Navy" tunnel.

I loved spending the holiday here. Looking into the eyes of thousands of young Americans as they marched by knowing that eventually every single one will be deployed and fighting for freedom, was very humbling for me. Yeah! I cried! They are so disciplined and brave. It was quite an experience spending Independence Day with future soldiers. I LOVE AMERICA!
Paulo, Ethan, Brock and Lucciano


Cadets in training


The gate into West Point

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

AWESOME! My friend, Rebecca, from Jersey goes EVERY year. Her husband graduated from there.