Saturday, August 28, 2010

Rose Island and Private Harbor Cruise

This is Brian and Chris, the captain of the Starfish. He took us on a private tour of the harbor and of Rose Island. He's from Yonkers, but moved north 8 years ago and just can't find it in him to move back....I can't say that I blame him! He over sees all the maintenance done on the lighthouse on Rose Island, so he goes back and forth everyday. Here are a few pictures of the harbor. It was so beautiful in the stormy weather.

an old fishing boat
a sailing ship

I can't remember the name of this lighthouse, but it isn't Rose Island.

ROSE ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE



Notice the little red building almost hanging off the front of the lighthouse in this picture. That is the Foghorn Room. That is where we were supposed to stay.

the kitchen

It is so peaceful listening to the wind, ding of buoy, waves crash on the beach.

tic tac toe board made from shells. Rose Island has more shells than any beach I have ever seen in my life! For most of our walk around the island we were crunching shell rather than walking on sand. It was cool.



one of the bedrooms in the lighthouse

I liked this shot because of the Lighthouse Cleanser, it made me giggle for some reason.

This picture is from the top of the lighthouse where the light is. I loved being on the island because other than Chris, Brian and I there were only 3 other people on the island. Its kinda cool how they get help with the lighthouse. People pay for at least a weeks stay but some up to 2 weeks to be the lighthouse keepers. Yes, they pay to run the lighthouse for a time. They do basic chores to help those who actually keep the grounds and lighthouse running. I would do this in a heartbeat! I can't think of a better way to spend two weeks. The kitchen is extremely basic and so is the bathroom. You have to hand pump your own water, boil it if you need it hot. They have bilge pumps to flush the toilets. Its all really rather genius!

another bedroom

a chair one of the old keepers carved while living on the island

some of the old china

the starfish, our water chariot

some of the out buildings

Rose Island was used as a fort in the revolutionary war, this is a picture of the cannon garrison across the island from the lighthouse. It was also used in both WWI and WWII, and the civil war. In the civil war they used the barracks basically as a hospital for all those quarantined because of sickness. There is a mass grave on the island for all those who died.

This is inside one room of the barracks. Christ is currently working on making this another bedroom for the "bed and breakfast" portion of the lighthouse.

These are the barracks. The tv show "the ghost hunters" got permission to set up in the barracks after they found out so many people had died in them. According to Chris they were extremely excited by the footage they shot the night they were there that they wanted permission to bring new "ghost hunters" to the island to train. So, watch for the Rose Island barracks on Ghost Hunters.
This is right out the door of the Foghorn Room where we would have been staying if it wasn't for the double booking.

The Foghorn Room

Beautiful isn't it? I can't wait to spend two nights here in November!
The Foghorn Room from the outside

Me washing my hands for lunch (in the bathroom in the lighthouse)

Some of the muscle shells

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow Wow Wow I checked out the pics.....what a trip. I wish I was a mouse in your pocket. You deserve it. I hope you had a great time it sure looked like.
Love ya Venus