Thursday, August 27, 2009

Our 11 wedding anniversary, Sharon Vermont, part 8 of 8

We decided since we were only 2.5 hours from Sharon Vermont we would take the kids to see where the Prophet Joseph Smith was born. They put up this monument to him years ago, I can't remember how many. It is one of the largest solid pieces of solid granite in America.



The missionary who took us on a tour of the Visitors Center is from Boise. He was so kind to us. It was fun to run into someone from Idaho. He took us through showing us the chair that Joseph had made his mother when he was a young boy, the hearth stone that used to be in the cabin where he was born and then the front step of the cabin that still sits in its original place outside on the hill.





This is where the front step still sits.


This is the monument during the daylight.

The hearthstone
This painting depicts when Joseph was 7 years old and got typhus. The infection had gone to the bone in his leg. One doctor said he would have to cut Joseph's leg off in order to save his life. Another doctor said there was a new surgery where they drill the affected bone and remove it. His parents choose to do this. The doctor wanted to give Joseph liquor so he wouldn't feel so much of the surgery, but Joseph refused saying he would hold still if his father would hold him. The surgery was very painful but it was successful. It took three years for his leg to completely heal. I tried to imagine Hannah going through this. It takes 4 people just to give her one shot. 3 to hold her down and one to give it. Joseph was an incredibly strong person all his life, it definitely started at an early age.
this is the chair he made his mother
I loved what the New York Harold said of him.

And again what London thought of him also.
I have always had a testimony of Joseph Smith. I know he was a real prophet of God called to restore his only true church to the earth. I know he received the true priesthood of God and was called to act in his name. I know he translated the Book of Mormon and that it is a true piece of scripture that testifies of Jesus Christ. Joseph suffered so much in life, but he never left the work he was called to do. He was a great example of Jesus Christ. I know his life's work was so I could enjoy the peace of knowing I am a part of the one true church of our Father. I know he was a prophet of God and taught his gospel, the same gospel Jesus set up when he was alive, nothing changing.
the drive leading to the visitors center
this is the chapel built just below the visitors center

This was the best anniversary gift! I'm so happy we got to end our trip here, in this sacred place.

No comments: